How to Prepare Your Family for a Long Distance Move
You’re about to move everything you own to a new town or state. That means you need to have a clear idea of what you need to do, when you need to do it, and how you’re going to do it. Start by making a list of all the tasks involved in your move, such as:
- Researching and hiring a reputable moving company
- Updating important documents like your license, insurance and bank accounts
- Packing and labeling your belongings
- Arranging for utilities, internet and mail forwarding at your new home
- Saying goodbye to your friends, neighbors and colleagues
Set realistic deadlines for each task and stick to them. Use a calendar, planner or app to keep track of your progress and remind you of what’s next. If possible, delegate some tasks to other family members or friends who can help you out. Don’t leave everything until the last minute, as that will only increase your stress and risk of forgetting something important.
Packing is one of the most time-consuming and tedious parts of moving, but also one of the most crucial. You want to make sure your belongings are packed in a way that protects them from damage, loss or theft during the long haul. Here are some packing tips to help you pack efficiently and securely:
- Declutter before you pack
- Use quality packing materials
- Strategically pack items grouped together
Don’t forget to notify your family & friends of your new address!
Contact EZ Moving for a free quote.